Wednesday, March 31, 2010

You Make Me Feel Mighty Real

The rain has finally stopped but it is still overcast an no rainbows! Today, I want to celebrate all the wonderful friends I share my life with as I am as lucky and honored to know a wide spectrum of colorful friends. Some of those colors might not mix together so well and yet they make a beautiful rainbow. We could use more rainbows and what a perfect soul to guide us into that rainbow than none other than the late Sylvester. I have been wanting to honor this incredible legendary performer and coincidentally I ran across a posting of some sort of documentary about his life being shown on a site called tvoneonline.com. I didn't get a chance to see the entire documentary but here is the teaser. During my searches I also came across this amazing clip from yet another documentary in the works about his life featured here.

Sylvester's life was fascinating and unexpectedly beautiful about a boy who was a little different but who was determined to be himself, at a time when, Lord knows, that wasn't easy. A biopic needs to be made and I think RuPaul should play him, although she would have to put on the pounds. I read a great biography of him called The Fabulous Sylvester: The Legend, The Music, the Seventies in San Francisco written by Joshua Gamson. It was an enchanting and shocking story. I highly recommend it. He was always true to himself as he was pushing boundaries in terms of image and homosexuality long before anyone. As far as his music goes, we embraced his famous falsetto voice, high energy disco and gospel roots. I am featuring two beautiful songs by him one is a slow version of one of his major disco hits "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" from his 1978 Step II LP. I simply love the feel of this song without the beats. Also, I wanted to share "You Are My Friend" from his legendary San Francisco Opera House live concert LP Living Proof. Sylvester you are greatly missed and you legacy lives on girlfriend! Enjoy

You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) Epilogue - Sylvester



No comments:

Post a Comment