Friday, March 26, 2010

Pass It On


Happy Friday! Today I'm featuring a beautiful and inspirational song called "Pass It On" by Eddie Hooper. Very little is known about this incredible Guyanese singer.  I came across an 1980's article about him from a Guyanese newspaper. During the early 1950's, Eddie Hooper performed under the name "Lord Inventor" and cut his first hit record entitled "Baccoo Inside". He was very well known in the Caribbean and had a brilliant career as a singer, composer, arranger and entertainer. In 1979, his fame sky rocketed by releasing a 12-inch pressing of "Pass It On" on HEAD records and quickly climbed the charts in New York. This song never fails to amaze and inspire with a sweet disco reggae feel sprinkled with some interesting spacey guitar sections. Also I advise you to listen to the lyrics carefully because the message is beautiful, simple, sweet and powerful! Sadly, I learned this amazing musician passed away in 1996. I am sure his legacy is huge in Guyana and the Caribbean. This song keeps me going, now I got to pack since I'm "going" on another trip to the Fish Kill Mountains to rehearse for upcoming theatre production so I will not post until Monday. I will keep you posted. Have a joyous weekend and hope you enjoy this song as much as I do.


4 comments:

  1. Bought this 12" in Brooklyn in 79, but unfortunately it got destroyed in a box during hurricane Rita. Have not been able to find it anywhere (along with Good To Me by THP Orchestra). Thank you so much.
    Tom L., Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom...it is such a hard to find record! I'm glad to hear you were able to listen to it at least on digital format and sorry to hear you lost this during that horrible tragedy. I can tell you are passionate about music. This is one my all time favorite songs. Such a sweet tune that always soothe. Thanks again for listening to Disco Monk

      Delete
  2. I heard this song a party last night and had to track it down.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it here on Disco Monk! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete