Monday, November 4, 2019

La Llorona





Photo: Titina Leal

Melancholy is my refuge at times. Remembering my grandmother Titina Leal. She was a grand Dame of poetry. (La Gran Dama de Poesia) During the '40s and '50s, she would shake the house down while reciting Pablo Neruda's poems with such passion on several of South American stages. She was actually  one of Neruda's muse.  She was also an actress and appears in a 1953 Mexican/Guatemalan film titled "Cuando Vuelvas A Mi" (When You Return to Me). I never got to meet her as she died of complications from leukemia the young age of 34. I do feel her presence sometimes.
So in lieu of Dia De Los Muertos,  I felt inclined to remix this beautiful version of La Llorona which I'm not sure yet how it's connected to my late grandmother but I just discovered by this version sung by this youngster with a powerful voice named Angela Aguilar. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment