Sunday, September 18, 2011

Only Love Can Break Your Heart


Here is a song that hasn't escaped my mind since it's release exactly twenty years ago in 1991.  A cover of Neil Young's 1970 classic, St. Etienne did due justice to the original and revolutionized 90's dance music at the same time by introducing a new lyrical dub aesthetic on the dance floor.  I was a mere 24 year old when I first discovered this song and ever since it became my personal soundtrack during the whole '90's decade and on.  It was included on their under appreciated debut album Foxbase Alpha.  Andrew Weatherall later remixed the song to further emphasize the dub bassline.  It was recorded in under two hours, got them a record deal, their first single and their first hit. Lead vocals were by Moira Lambert, as Sarah Cracknell had not yet joined the band as a permanent member. The song remains Saint Etienne's only entry in the US Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 97 in 1992. It did, however, top the US Hot Dance Club Play chart at number 1!  Several remixes have been made but nothing beats the original until recently when I discovered this remix by Richard X.  Simply brilliant!   Enjoy


2 comments:

  1. Very good remix...! Nice discovery. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi colleagues, how is everything, and what you want to say about this paragraph, in my
    view its really awesome in favor of me.

    Here is my web page - banc de binary ()

    ReplyDelete