Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sell My Soul




It has been a long day today so I will be brief.  Here is a song that I have been wanting to post for it's sheer lyrical intensity and  fabulous hard pounding breaks with gorgeously dramatic piano.   Sell My Soul  was released in 1980 and it was quite a departure for Sylvester.  This one was not as disco and upbeat as Star or Step II.  The melodies are less happy and more intimate. This LP has been a quite overlooked production by Harvey Fuqua and it became known for the dance classic "I Need You". It also has a great cover of "Fever" but the most haunting song here is "Sell My Soul" taking the disco formula to new levels with a dark and moody gospel sound.    I'm also featuring Larry Levan's remix of  "Someone Like You" for good measure which was pretty much Sylvester's swan song before he passed away.  "Someone Like You" was released in 1986 from his last full lenght LP titled Mutual Attraction and it became his second #1 Hit on the U.S.  dance chart featuring amazing cover art by Keith Haring.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment