Saturday, September 18, 2010

You Got The Love

...."sometimes I feel like throw my hands up in the air....I know I can count on you".....Whenever I hear those words I always feel a rush of inspiration and tingling whether on the dance floor or  simply just walking around.   This incredible club classic by the Source featuring the legendary first Lady of Southern soul Candi Staton.  I could also add she holds the throne among the first ladies of Disco with classics such as "Young Hearts Run Free", "When You Wake Up Tomorrow" and "Victim" to name a few.  "You Got the Love" came later in the mid 80's in it's original form and was then a club-style dance hit that has sold two million copies and is considered a seminal classic of the early '90s dance scene leading to many remixes and cover versions too many to mention here.  Here, I chose to feature three different versions.  The Source's club version, the original 1986 release and the short  and more dramatic version which is more hip pop flavored.  They are all totally different in structure yet they all have a timeless emotional power lyrically and musically. Candi Staton is still very active on the music scene and recently was inducted into the Christian Music Hall of Fame. She has definitely got the love the see me through! Enjoy












You Got The Love (Original 1986 Version) - The Source featuring Candi Station



No comments:

Post a Comment